Thursday, July 12, 2007

There's a New Deputy in Town (at The Hyde)

The Hyde Collection’s board of trustees is pleased to announce that Erin B. Coe has been promoted to the position of Deputy Director and Chief Curator of the Museum effective June 25, 2007. Ms. Coe has served as Curator at The Hyde since 1999. As Deputy Director, Coe will be the officer in charge when the Director is not on the Museum premises. The title Chief Curator acknowledges Ms. Coe’s role as the head of the curatorial department and staff. This promotion recognizes Coe’s eight years of expertise and leadership with respect to collections and exhibition research and development, publications, and the management of the curatorial department including overseeing the care and conservation of the Museum’s collection of nearly 3,000 art objects. According to the board of trustees chairman Bernard Brown, who announced the promotion on June 25, “Erin has done a remarkable job for us since coming to The Hyde. Her enthusiasm and knowledge of the collection is unparalleled.” Philip McIntire, chair of the Human Resources Committee stated, “Erin herself is one of the jewels of our collection. Her knowledge, her experience, and her absolute devotion to the Hyde deserve this recognition.”

During her tenure at The Hyde, Coe has curated eighteen exhibitions and authored or co-authored numerous exhibition catalogues including Adolph Gottlieb, 1956 (2005), Painting Lake George, 1774-1900 (2005); Family Matters: American Impressionism and Realism (2003), Picturing Gentility: Portraits of Women in American Art (2000), and French and English Printed Textiles (1999). Additionally, Coe has directly managed the installation of over thirty-five traveling exhibitions such as Luminist Horizons: The Art and Collection of James A. Suydam, (2007); Edward Weston: Life Work (2006); Carrie Mae Weems: The Louisiana Project (2005), Masterworks: Selections from the New Britain Museum of American Art (2004), and Modern Masters: From Corot to Kandinsky (2003).

In 2003-04, Ms. Coe oversaw the interior restoration of the Museum’s historic building, Hyde House, through the development and implementation of a Furnishing Plan. This restoration project garnered several awards including the Award of Merit from the Upstate History Alliance in 2005. This major restoration project served as the basis of her newly published article “The Hyde House Furnishing Plan: Scholarship and Science to the Rescue” in the Postprints of the American Institute for the Conservation of Historic & Artistic Works, based on the paper she presented at their annual meeting in 2006.

Coe has received other honors and awards including The Business Review’s 40 Under Forty in 2006; and the Brunshwig & Fils Scholarship to attend the prestigious Attingham Summer School for the Study of Architecture, Fine, and Decorative Arts in Great Britain in 2001.

Coe has written for several national periodicals including The Magazine Antiques and the Catalogue of Antiques and Fine Art. She is a recent contributor to Consuming Views: Art and Tourism in the White Mountains 1850-1900 (2006) published by the New Hampshire Historical Society and distributed by the University of New England Press.

Ms. Coe has served on several area boards including the Marcella Sembrich Memorial Association, the Lake George Arts Project, and presently on the de Blasiis Chamber Music Series. She holds a MA degree from the University at Albany and a BA degree from the University of New Mexico.

The Hyde Collection is a historic house and art museum complex that combines the heritage of the Adirondack Region with a distinguished permanent collection consisting of works by European old and modern masters and American artists, important decorative arts and antique furnishings. In addition, the Museum provides changing exhibitions in four gallery spaces, lectures, concerts, family activities and school programming as well as a Museum Store. Admission is FREE with voluntary donations accepted. The Hyde Collection is a publicly supported institution located at 161 Warren Street, Glens Falls, New York. Open year-round Tuesday-Saturday 10 AM - 5 PM, and Sunday noon - 5 PM., Closed Mondays and national holidays. Admission is FREE. For information, call 518-792-1761 or visit the Hyde website.

No comments: